Crime and punishment (Nov 23)
- Joseph Shapiro. 2018. In Iowa, a commitment to make prison work better for women. Oct 17, npr.org.
- Kara Gotsch and Vinay Basti. 2018. Capitalizing on mass incarceration and US growth in private prisons. Aug 2, The Sentencing Project. (read the Overview–part I)
- Stell Simonton. 2015. San Antonio, where policing the mentally ill means treating them. Mar 31, Council of State Governments Justice Center.
- Oregon Public Broadcasting. 2017. Lane County Launches Mental Health Registry (audio file). Sept 21, Think Out Loud w/ David Miller.
- Eugene Jarecki. 2012. The House I Live In. (excerpt and discussion of). Optional–you’ll likely have to rent–but definitely put it on your watch list if you’re getting into or currently working in social welfare.
- Alice Goffman’s TED talk (How we’re priming some kids for college — and others for prison)