- Annette Lareau. 2012. Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race and Family Life. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press (pp 14-32). In Canvas.
- Matthew Desmond. 2020. The rent eats first, even during a pandemic. Aug 29, New York Times.
- Emily Badger. 2018. The outsize hold of the word ‘welfare’ on the public imagination. Aug 6, New York Times. (there is a link in Canvas as well)
Some baseline knowledge for the course:
- Welfare basics
- Key concepts
- Poverty and inequality
- Structure, agency and social welfare
- From Lareau’s Unequal Childhoods’:
- Summing up week 1
- Wealth inequality in America (video short)