- Annette Lareau. 2012. Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race and Family Life. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press (pp 14-32). In Canvas.
- Kathryn Edin and H. Luke Shaefer. 2015. $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Chapter 4, ‘Canvas. ‘). In
- Emily Badger. 2018. The outsize hold of the word ‘welfare’ on the public imagination. Aug 6, New York Times.
Some baseline knowledge for the course:
- Welfare basics
- Key concepts
- Poverty and inequality
- Structure, agency and social welfare
- From Lareau’s Unequal Childhoods':
- Summing up week 1
- Wealth inequality in America (video short)