- Paul Gorski. 2008. The myth of the culture of poverty. Poverty and Learning 65(7):32-36.
- Your assignment for this week–investigate your local social welfare network, including state agencies, non-profits, faith-based groups, include mental health, community action, criminal justice, school-based services, etc.
- Some basic questions to ask about welfare programs
- Welfare programs
- Stigma and welfare
- Theories on Culture of poverty, the underclass
- Is rural poverty different?
Video clips (from ‘People Like Us: Social Class in America’)
- Social class
- WASP lessons
- Understanding the rules of the game
- Bud vs Bordeaux
- Gnomes ‘R’ us
- How to marry the rich
- Tammy’s story (13 years later)