- Annette Lareau. 2012. Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race and Family Life. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press (pp 82-104: Katie Brindle and family). In Canvas.
- Joseph Shapiro. 2018. In Iowa, a commitment to make prison work better for women. Oct 17, npr.org.
- Kara Gotsch and Vinay Basti. 2018. Capitalizing on mass incarceration and US growth in private prisons. Aug 2, The Sentencing Project. (read the Overview–part I)
- Scott Helman. 2016. The San Antonio way: How one Texas city took on mental health as a community–and became a national model. Dec 10, Boston Globe.
- Oregon Public Broadcasting. 2017. Lane County Launches Mental Health Registry (audio file). Sept 21, Think Out Loud w/ David Miller.
- Eugene Jarecki. 2012. The House I Live In. (excerpt and discussion of). Optional–you’ll likely have to rent–but definitely put it on your watch list if you’re getting into or currently working in social welfare.